The basis for developing a phase plan is the previously prepared draft plan. The plan should be reviewed to determine if particular aspects have changed. Typically the following need to occur:
- Update the 'Current Status'
- Review the 'Work Required' section to ensure it is still a reflection of the activities to be completed
- Produce a schedule in Microsoft Project including milestones
- Allocate resources and gain their agreement to participate as required
- Identify any risks or issues that are still outstanding and which may impact the outcome of this project
- Update the cost estimate
The draft plan should be retained as there is sometimes questions
as to why certain events occurred, or when they first come
to light. It is good practice in project management to retain
Once the plan is complete, it should be discussed with the
Sponsor to gain agreement to proceed. The Sponsor will ensure
the plan is workable and that all necessary planning steps
have been undertaken.